Google Phone Number Free free service that allows anyone with a Gmail address to make phone calls, get voicemail, and send texts for free. Google’s phone service, Google Voice, allows you to make phone calls for free within the United States and offers low rates for calls to other countries.
You can also send and receive text messages.
Go to the Google Voice page whenever you want to call from your web browser, or use the Google Voice app. When someone calls your Google number, the call forwards to your linked phone number. However, the caller will not see your phone number, so you effectively have two numbers for one phone.
Gmail and Google Voice Sign UP Online
Get started with Gmail by entering your information on the Google Account Signup page and then adding Google Voice to the services on your account. It allows you to either use your cell phone number or get an entirely new number for Google Voice.
How to get a Google Voice number on your computer
- Fire up your favorite web browser and make sure you’re connected to the internet. Visit https://voice.google.com/.
- When prompted, sign in to your Google account.
- Select your area code or city for your phone number. Google Voice won’t allow you to set up a 1-800 number, so apologies if that’s your business plan. You don’t need to select an area code near where you live if you don’t want people to your general location.
- Once you have the number you want, press Select. You’ll need to connect your Google Voice number to your actual phone, so there’s a place to route your calls. Once you’ve completed Google’s confirmation process you’re ready to start talking.
How to get a Google Voice number for iOS and Android
- Go to the App Store and download the Google Voice app.
- Open the Google Voice app, and sign in with your Google Account information.
- Select the Sign In button on the bottom of the Screen, and sign in using your Google Account. You may be asked to go to Voice.Google.com to sign in to your Google Account if your using an account not already linked on your phone.
- Select your area code or city for your phone number, then select your phone number. Remember Google Voice won’t let you make a 1-800 number.
- Once you have your number selected, finish the Google Voice confirmation process. You’ll need to connect your Google Voice number to your actual phone, so Google knows where to route your incoming calls. Finish this process and you’re ready to get dialing.
How Does a Google Phone Number Work?
Google Voice is popular among solopreneurs and freelancers due to the fact that it offers a free personal number and unlimited domestic calling and texting. Business plans are affordable, too. Best of all, setting up a Google Voice number is easy and takes just a few simple steps.
Likewise, you can have your Google Voice number ring multiple phones, so you have several options for handling communications. In addition to free domestic calls and texting, Google Voice supports group messaging, voicemail transcription, and more.
Using Google Voice – Google Phone Number Free
All told, making calls, sending texts and checking voicemail works in an almost identical fashion to what you’re probably used to on your smartphone’s default apps. You can almost think of it as a phone within your phone.
Google Voice comes with a wide range of basic features, such as contacts, SMS, voicemail transcription and the ability to record all of your calls. It even offers international calling starting at 1 cent per minute.